UNLOADING THE CIRCUIT
OVERLOADED CIRCUITS CAUSE FIRES AND DEATH.
MAKE SURE YOUR HOME’S ELECTRICAL SYSTEM IS UP TO SNUFF.
HOW TO PREVENT AN ELECTRICAL OVERLOAD:
- With your home circuit map, move plug-in appliances to a circuit that is less used.
- Plug major appliances, like refrigerators, directly into a wall outlet.
- Do not turn on too many things at once. For example, turn off the TV while you vacuum (you can’t hear it anyway).
- Replace incandescent or halogen lightbulbs with energy-efficient LED bulbs to reduce lighting loads.
- Power strips only add additional outlets; they do not change the amount of power being received from the outlet.
- Have a qualified electrician inspect your home. Heavy reliance on extension cords could indicate that you have too few outlets.
If you find you are overloading an outlet or circuit in your home, you may need to contact a professional to help resolve the problem. An electrician can add outlets and inspect your home’s wiring system.