Job TypeFull Time
SalaryCompetitive Pay BOE
Company & Position Summary
South Central Indiana REMC (SCI REMC) is seeking candidates for the position of Safety Professional. SCI REMC is the largest not-for-profit electric distribution cooperative in Indiana and a leader in innovative technology. The cooperative focuses on providing safe, reliable, cost-effective electricity and fiber solutions to its members in seven counties in south central Indiana.
The cooperative is headquartered in a new, progressive facility in Martinsville, Indiana located just 30 minutes south of the Indianapolis airport and 20 minutes north of Bloomington, Indiana off of I-69. SCI REMC serves 3,922 miles of energized lines with 34,875 meters and 29,451 electric members and 7,778 residential fiber subscribers. SCI REMC has 160 highly valued, member-focused employees. South Central Indiana REMC (SCI REMC) is a not-for-profit electric distribution, fiber services, member-owned cooperative. The Fiber Division of SCI REMC offers quality broadband services to homes and businesses plus fiber transport systems to ensure a reliable network service with a high level of member/subscriber experience satisfaction.
This is a key position at the cooperative. The best candidates will have strong initiative and leadership skills with solid safety technical skills in an electric/fiber utility. The successful person must be self-driven and strive to be a safety resource for all departments. This position is not eligible for remote/hybrid work and must live a reasonable distance from the HQ office. The position reports to our President and CEO.
Key Position's Responsibility
- Manages and guides the Safety culture of the REMC to facilitate a united, safe, environment for all REMC employees;
- Oversees all areas of safety loss control and environmental compliance to adhere to governmental and safety regulations including but not limited to EPA, OSHA, IOSHA, DOT, INDOT as well as regulations specific to the electric, vegetation management and/or fiber industry;
- Develops, communicates and promotes the required adherence to all established safety rules, regulations, and practices;
- Develops and presents safety initiatives and information to members and the general public including emergency agencies, schools and law enforcement agencies, etc.
If you are Interested in this great opportunity and meet the qualifications below, apply confidentially through the SCI REMC website.
Deadline to apply is January 5, 2023
Resumes received only through the SCI website will be considered.
SCI REMC offers excellent benefits including a defined-benefit pension plan, 401(k) matched savings, healthcare, HSA with a generous employer contribution and much more. Joining the co-op family will prove to be a welcoming, friendly experience where employees are focused on providing the best service to all members and subscribers. Join this unique, not-for-profit business that truly values its team players and encourages life-long learning and development.
Job Related Qualifications
Minimum of a BS or BA Degree in an applicable area OR an Assoc. degree in an applicable area with demonstrated industry related safety certification, such as CLCP or CSP. Successful completion of a journeyman lineman apprenticeship program meets the equivalent to an Assoc. degree
Must have a minimum of 5 years demonstrated working experience with an electrical utility company with operations with at least 3 years of demonstrated experience in managing safety OR at least 8 years of safety experience in an industrial or utility (non-electrical) company. Experience in a rural electric distribution system preferred.
- Experience as a Journeyman Line Worker, or experience working with Operations with an electrical utility company with hands-on knowledge of electrical distribution safety procedures.
- Ability to evaluate and execute safety management systems and be a continuous change agent for safety culture and vision.
- Ability to comprehend and educate all levels of employees on safety compliance topics
- Ability to comprehend environmental compliance areas and educate all levels of employees
- Ability to lead, establish and maintain credibility as the Safety Professional and be an advisor on safety for all levels of employees and management.
- Ability to lead an investigation team, using root-cause analysis software.
- Ability to communicate effectively with all levels of employees in a professional and clear manner.
- Ability to develop and effectively present technical safety topics to large groups of employees, members or the general community.
- Ability to plan and organize a project or program to meet deadlines within an established budget.
- Intermediate level or higher of computer literacy and using Microsoft applications such as creating & updating Excel spreadsheets; communicating using Outlook and/or Word and creating PowerPoint presentations.
- Must be able to work effectively on a daily basis with a variety of individuals
- Must be able to tolerate stress and to remain calm and efficient and courteous under pressure and in urgent or emergency situations.
- Must be regular in work attendance and available as needed outside of regular office hours.
- Possession of a valid Class A Commercial Driver’s License is preferred.