Tips to Avoid Energy Scams Video
3 Warning Signs of Energy Scams
- We will never show up at your door to demand payment.
- Never give personal information to an unknown caller or visitor.
- Beware of demands for immediate payment by wire transfer, gift cards, or unusual methods.
Please make secure payments by visiting our website sciremc.com, in-person in our lobby, or by calling us directly at (800) 264-REMC (7362) or (765) 342-3344.
How to Spot a Scam
Don't become a victim. In one of the most common scams, a caller may:
- Pretend to be from your utility. (Your called ID may even display your utility's name)
- Threaten to turn off power, water, or natural gas service to your home or business within an hour
- Demand immediate payment – often by prepaid debit card
Suspect a scammer? Here's what to do if the call seems suspicious:
- Hang up
- Call your utility provider at the number on your bill
- Call the police
Do not pay over the phone if immediate payment is demanded to avoid a disconnection.